« ÖncekiDevam »
evil-doers. Jer. xx. 13. Our soul is escaped even as a bird out of the snare of the fowler: the snare is broken, and we are delivered. Our help standeth in the Name of the Lord. Ps. cxxiv. 6. 7.
28. If thou count me therefore a partner, receive him as myself. If he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account. Philem. xvii. 18. He judged the cause of the poor and needy; then it was well with him. Jer. xxii. 16.
29. I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the Lord : and they shall be my people and I will be their God. Jer. xxiv. 7.— I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world : thine they were, and Thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. John xvii. 6.
30. Then said the princes and all the people unto the priests and to the prophets ; This man is not worthy to die. Jer. xxvi. 16.- -Pilate went out again unto the Jews, and said unto them, I find in him no fault at all. John xix. 38.
31. Therefore thus saith the Lord ; Behold I will cast thee from off the face of the earth : this year thoni shalt die, because thou hast taught rebellion against the Lord. So Hananiah the prophet died the same year in the seventh month. Jer. xxviii. 16, 17.The Lord is righteous in all his ways. Ps. cxlv. 17.
AUGUST. 1. Out of them shall proceed thanksgiving and the voice of them that make merry. Jer. xxx. 19.Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord. Joh. xx. 20.
2. I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me. Jer. xxxii. 40.
-Being made perfect, He became the author of eternal
salvation unto all them that obey him. Heb. v. ix.
3. Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things. Jer. xxxiii. 3.These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication. Acts i. 14.
4. They were not afraid, nor rent their garments, neither the king nor any of his servants that heard all these words. Jer. xxxvi. 24.- -When they heard this they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Acts ii. 37.
5. Obey, I beseech thee, the voice of the Lord, which I speak unto thee : so it shall be well unto thee, and thy soul shall live. Jer. xxxviii. 20.-They shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord : for all shall know me.
Heb. viii. 11. 6. They sent, and took Jeremiah out of the court of the prison, and committed him unto Gedaliah, the son of Ahikam, the son of Shaphan, that he should carry him home; so he dwelt among the people. Jer. xxxix. 14. -When they had further threatened them, they let them go. Acts iv. 21.
7. Ye dissembled in your hearts, when ye sent me unto the Lord your God, saying, Pray for us unto the Lord our God: and according unto all that the Lord our God shall say, so declare unto us, and we will do it. And now I have this day declared it to you; but ye have not obeyed the voice of the Lord your God, nor any thing for the which he hath sent me unto you. Now therefore know certainly that ye shall die by the sword, by the famine, and by the pestilence, in the place whither ye desire to go and to sojourn. Jer. xlii. 20, 21, 22.- -Thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God. And Ananias, hearing these words, fell down, and gave up the ghost. Acts v. 4, 5.
8. Then spake Azariah the son of Hoshaiah, and
Johanan the son of Kareah, and all the proud men, saying unto Jeremiah, Thou speakest falsely: the Lord our God hath not sent thee. Jer. xlii. 2.They suborned men, which said, we have heard him speak blasphemous words against Moses and against God. Acts vi. 11.
9. They cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears.
Acts vii. 57.- -See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. Heb. xii. 25.
10. Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
Acts viii. 19, 20.- -These things last thou done, and I held my tongue, and thou thoughtest wickedly, that I am even such a one as thyself : but I will reprove thee, and set before thee the things that thou hast done. Ps. I. 21.
11. They shall ask the way to Zion, with their faces thither-ward, saying, Come, and let us join ourselves to the Lord in a perpetual covenant that shall not be forgotten. Jer. 1. 5.Straightway he preached Christ in the synagogue, that he is the Son of God. Acts ix. 20.
12. Thy prayers and thine alms are come up for à memorial before God. Acts X. 4. God hath heard me: and considered the voice of my prayer. Praised be God who hath not cast out my prayer : nor turned his mercy from me.
13. The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. Lam. iii. 25.- -Let all those that seek Thee be joyful and glad in Thee : and let all such as delight in thy salvation say alway, the Lord be praised. Ps. Ixx. 4.
14. Upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them. And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a God, and not of a man. And immediately the angel of The Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost. Acfs xii. 23. Oh, how suddenly do they consume: perish, and come to a fearful end ! Ps. lxxiii. 18.
15.* Thou shalt speak my words unto them, whether they will hear or whether they will forbear. Ez. ii. 7.
-It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you : but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. Acts xiii.46.
16. Smite with thine band, and stamp with thy foot, and say, Alas! for all the evil abominations of the house of Israel! Ez. vi. 11.-The priest of Jupiter, which was before their city, brought oxen and garlands unto the gates, and would have done sacrifice with the people. Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out, and saying, Sirs, why do ye these things ? Acts xiv. 13, 14, 15.
17. We believe that through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved. Acts xy, 11. Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God. 1 Pet. ii. 10.
18. And the multitude rose up together against them : and the magistrates rent off their clothes, and commanded to beat them. And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they cast them into prison. Acts xvi. 22, 23.- -If ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye! 1 Pet. iii. 14.
* This is a day much to be remembered by those for whose use this little book is more immediately drawn up,--as the day on which they engaged in the rite of Confirmation. May each successive anniversary find them growing in grace as they grow in years, and the prayer be answered which besought, that they might be “ filled with the spirit of God's holy fear, now and for ever!”
19. Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel, prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God unto the shepherds ; woe be to the shepherds of Israel that do feed themselves ! should not the shepherds feed the flocks? Ezek. xxxiv. 2.If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God. 1 Pet. iv. 11.
20. Be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy Gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
Dan. iii. 18. -Be pot afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace : For I am with thee. Acts xviii. 9, 10.
21. God hath numbered thy kingdom and finished it. Dan. v. 26.- -The prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. 2 Pet. i. 21.
22. (Daniel) kneeled upon his knees three times a-day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God. Dan. vi. 10 I give myself unto prayer. Ps. cix. 3.
23. After threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself. Dan. ix. 26.Be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets. 2 Pet. iii. 2.
24. St. Bartholomew.-COLLECT FOR THE DAY. O Almighty and everlasting God, who didst give to thine Apostle Bartholomew grace truly to believe and preach thy Word; Grant, we beseech thee, unto thy church, to love that Word which he believed, and both to preach and receive the same; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
25. O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong. And when He had spoken unto me, I was strengthened. Dan. X. 19.
The night following, the Lord stood by him, and said, Be of good cheer, Paul. Acts xxiii. 11.
26. As he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled. Acts xxiv.