Sayfadaki görseller

sea in the longboat, he obtained a passage to Bombay, and on his arrival there be at once communicated the circumstances of the wreck to the Government authorities, and prevailed on them to despatch a steamer to rescue his unfortunate wife and the remainder of his crew, whom he supposed to be in the hands of the natives at Cape Guardafui. Just, however, as the steamer was about starting on the expedition, intelligence arrived from Aden to the effect that a portion of the crew had been taken off the coast by Captain Ramsay, of the Columbia, on the 12th of August, but that the remainder, and also Mrs. Short, bad perished in an attempt to escape from the natives.

A letter received from Captain Ramsey observes, that when his vessel was off the village of Alsla, near Cape Felix, on the Soowall coast, he was hailed from a canoe, which proved to contain the steward of the wrecked vessel. Learning from him that the chief officer of the ship and two seamen were in the hands of the natives, Captain Ramsay despatched his boat to bring them aboard, but the chief refused to deliver them up unless he received 130 rupees ransom-money. This demand was complied with, and the men were taken on board, and landed at Aden.

The owners of the Mary Florence have learned the names of those who perished with the captain's wife-namely, Mr. Wishart, the second officer; Samuel Williams and Thomas Jones, seamen. Those taken on board the Columbia were the chief mate, Junius Perkins; steward, David Roberts, and John M.Kinnon.

It is now ascertained that poor Mrs. Short, with the other sufferers, met their sad fate on the evening of the same day that they landed from the wreck. The natives stripped Mrs. Short of her rings, ear-rings, and other jewellery, and also took from her 120 sovereigns. She managed afterwards to free herself from them, and rushed down to the beach, where a portion of the crew were assembled.

They managed to get to the boat, and, although there were no oars in it, at the earnest entreaties of Mrs. Short it was determined to make an attempt to regain the ship. The boat was got off, but was swamped by the heavy surf, and the seamen who accompanied her met with a watery grave.

The spot where the ship was wrecked is on the same part of the coast where the East India Company's steamer Memnon was lost some few years since.

The Mary Florence was nearly 600 tons burden, and cost £12,000. She was partially insured at Lloyd's.


By the arrival of the overland mail from India, on Friday afternoon, October 4th, the underwriters at Lloyd's were put in possession of information relative to the loss of three first-class ships employed in the East India trade, namely, the Manchester, 600 tons, bound for London; the Ariadne, 700 tons, of Greenock, bound for Liverpool ; and the Nereid, 700 tons, of London.

That of the Ariadne created the deepest regret, the intelligence leaving very little doubt that all hands, together with some passengers, met with a watery grave. The unfortunate ship, we are given to understand, sailed from Calcutta for England in the latter part of July, with a valuable freight on board. About three weeks afterwards, some vessels bound to Calcutta, in passing near Palmyra Point, on the Indian coast, discovered a wreck, whích, on cxamination, proved to be that of the Ariadne. No living creature, however, was to be seen on the wreck, or in any other place near it, and she was fast breaking up. Immediately on the melancholy news reaching Calcutta, the authorities despatched a Government steamer to the spot, with instructions to ascertain, if possible, the fate of the crew. A few hours before the mail steamer started for England, the steamer returned to Calcutta, with intelligence confirming the loss of the ship and cargo, and that great doubts existed regarding the fate of those belonging to the ship. The chief mate of the Ariadne was picked up on a spar by the steamer off the coast, forty miles southward of the place where the ship was lost. The poor fellow was in a shocking state of exhaustion. He had been twelve days exposed, subsisting entirely upon berries. As far as could be gleaned from him, it appeared that the master and crew had been carried out to sea on a raft in a gale of wind. The steamer went in search, and after several days' cruising returned to Calcutta. It is reported there were from thirty to forty persons on the raft, and, from the violent state of the weather when it was driven out to sea, it is doubtful whether any of them survive. Still, hopes are entertained that they may have been picked up by some vessel. The ship and cargo are valued at £30,000.

The Manchester, Indiaman, was wrecked on the Saugor Islands, on the 6th of August, a few days' sail from Calcutta. Several of her crew met with injury by the falling of her mainmast, after the ship struck, but all hands were fortunate enough to escape in the boats before the vessel broke up. It is considered a very heavy loss. She was the property of Messrs. Wade and Co., merchants in the city, who are said to be insured.

The other unfortunate ship, the Nereid, foundered on the morning of the 9th of July last, in lat. 34 52 S. In a tremendous gale of wind she encountered some days previous she sprang a leak, and eventually the crew were compelled to take to the boats, the ship going down head foremost within an hour afterwards. The gale had not abated when the boats left, and it was with great exertions they were got to a vessel, the Emperor, from Calcutta, the master of which had hove his ship to, and remained by them from the previous night. They were taken on board, and received every kindness. The Nereid belonged to Messrs. Phillips and Co., of the city. The loss of the three ships is calculated to exceed £100,000.



Exeter, Devon, 17th Sept., 1850. Dear Sir,- I was much interested by reading the account in your magazine for this month of the providential escape of the French mariners at Scilly, in Noveniber, 1840, because I have to raise my Ebenezer for similar over-ruling Providence in my favour, when wrecked on the rocks at Scilly, in October, 1795. On that occasion I was preserved from three perilous situations, and, like Paul, was a night and a day in the deep. But the narrative induced me to refer to my journal (now before me) when day-mate of the Tremendous, flag-ship at the Cape of Good Hope. I give the following quotation :

20th January, 1798, p.m., fresh breezes and squally; at 11, violent squalls, taking us first on the bow, then suddenly on the broadside, and the squalls being so variable, we considered it to be somewhat of a hurricane (such storms had not been usual at the Cape); a.m., hard squalls between S.E. and S.W., the ship steering so wildly that we parted the small bower cable, let go the sheet anchor, and brought up both anchors ahead. A schooner lying in shore in ballast was blown over, and lay bottom up; a large Dutch Flight was fouled by a ship driving on her, and injuring her channels, and a squall blew her main-mast over the side. Many of the officers being on shore, the commanding officer aşked me if I thought I could get on shore to inform the admiral of the state of the ship, to order the officers on board;

because, if we parted another cable, he purposed to endeavour running to sea until the storm abated, to reserve our remaining anchor. I told him I did not think it possible to do so in any of the ship’s boats, but in his private whale boat I was ready to obey his orders. She was a fine light boat, the gale had somewhat moderated, though it was yet squally, when, about half-way on shore, a sort of whirlwind squall lifted the boat completely out of the water, but instantly calling to the men to keep the oars still, she almost immediately setiled again. On passing the schooner a noise was heard inside her, but our own position was such that we had no inclination to gratify curiosity, my only object being to reach the shore. When the gale subsided, the boats, going on shore for freslı beef, heard the noise of something knocking inside the schooner. One of them (I think the Raisonable’s boat) returned to the ship, and brought some carpenters to scuttle her bottom, when they found a poor Hottentot slave boy so exhausted that it was some time before he could speak. The account he gave was, that no other person was on board when she capsized, when, finding himself involved in thick darkness, he ba wled and roared as loud as he could, in hopes of being heard ; and when bis voice failed him, that he could call out no longer, in groping about he got hold of one of the stones they had bad for ballast, and he continued tapping with that until he was rescued, and that was the noise we had heard in passing her the previous day. The poor little fellow was dreadfully horrified and exhausted, and his mind being as dark as the hull he was in, I think every Christian philan. thropist will feel, that had that poor boy been taught to honour God and reverence him habitually in times of safety, it would have been of unspeakable advantage to him in this perilous situation. We see that the French captain had a God to confide in for deliverance, because, when that deliverance came, his first impulse was to thank God for it. Should you deem this consistent with your glorious object, by giving it a place in your next magazine I may, for a succeeding one, forward a statement of very different results on a similar occasion ; and, wishing you abundant success in your labour of love and Christian philanthropy,

I am, dear Sir, your obedient servant, Mr. T. Fieldwick.



On Wednesday, the 2nd of October, died at Woodford, near Berkeley, in the county of Gloucester, Mr. James Ingram, proprietor and landlord of the Fox Inn, in that village. Mr. Ingram was 93 years of age, and was the last survivor of the crew of the “Royal George,” which sank at Spithead on the 19th of August, 1782. His escape on that memorable occasion was almost miraculous; he was below at the time the vessel capsized, but was fortunate enough to get out at one of the port-holes. As he was swimming to the shore, one of the persons who was on board at the time of the accident, and who, like himself, was struggling for life, caught hold of his foot, and dragged him towards the bottom. By a desperate effort he freed himself from the deadly grasp, one of his shoes having come off in the struggle, and by this means he was released from his perilous situation; the other shoe he retained as a relic to his dying day. Before reaching the shore, he saw a woman struggling in the water, and, being an expert swimmer, he brought her safely to land with him. Mr. Ingram had seen a great deal of service, having been at the siege of Gibraltar, when it was attacked by the combined fleets of France and Spain, and also in many naval actions. His sight and health were remarkably good, up to within a short time of bis death. Deceased was well known to travellers on the old coach-road from Gloucester to Bristol, as the coachmen used frequently to pull up, to allow their passengers to see a veteran whose life had been marked by so miraculous an incident. ...

Monthly Chronicle.

In our Chronicle for September reference was made to Mr. Fieldwick's recent visit into Cornwall, on behalf of the Society, when it was stated that arrangements of a very satisfactory character were made respecting the Cornish mission generally, and more especially as to the Bethel Chapel at

PENZANCE. We have now much pleasure in stating particulars. When the Cornish Coast Mission was originated, it was fully expected that the friends of sailors at Penzance would at once have cordially united in the proposed undertaking, and, accordingly, the missionary (Mr. Trotter) has given them the occasional benefit of his labours, in common with other stations on the coast. A difficulty was, however, felt on account of the local Bethel, which was thought by some to meet the spiritual necessities of the seafaring population, and which, it was said, demanded all the support which could be raised for it in the town.

Matters at length assumed another appearance. The labours of Mr. Trotter, occasional as they were, were found to be efficient; and the services in the Bethel Chapel being very irregular and ill attended, a desire was expressed by some of the Trustees of the Bethel for a more perfect co-operation. Under these circumstances, it was proposed by Mr. Fieldwick that the Bethel Chapel should be occupied by the British and Foreign Sailors' Society, which should hold itself responsible for the supply of the regular services. A meeting of Trustees was accordingly convened, when the following minuto was made by Joseph Carne, Esq., and sent for adoption to the Directors of the Society:

“At a Meeting of the Trustees of the Bethel Chapel, in Penzance, lield in the Wesleyan Vestry, on the 20th of August, 1850— Present, Rev. Charles Moore, in the chair; Rev. Mr. Foxell, Mr. Rosewall, Capt. Broad, and Mr. Carne--to consider a proposal made by Mr. Fieldwick on behalf of the British and Foreign Sailors' Society, to take the Chapel under their care, and to occupy it by their missionary, at least on one Sabbath in every month, and to make arrangements with other ministers to supply the Chapel on the other Sundays, and other times which may be convenient, accompanied by their assurance that their missionary shall spend about a week in every month in visiting the seamen and others, in their ships and habitations.

RESOLVED, that it is advisable to give up the Chapel to the Society's care, as proposed, reserving a rent of sixpence a year from Michaelmas next, besides the lord's rent, and on condition that the Society will at any time give up the possession to the Trustees on receiving six months' notice to do so.

(Signed) CHARLES MOORE, Chairman.The terms thus specified were cordially adopted by the Board, and arrangements consequently made for the usual services, which will be conducted by Mr. Trotter, assisted by the local ministers and other

We confidently anticipate, that by these means the local interest in the sailor's cause will be greatly increased, while the operations of the Parent Society are, at the same time, rendered more ellicient,


Equally satisfactory are the plans now in progress, through the efforts of the Rev. Edward Muscutt, to form

NEW METROPOLITAN AUXILIARIES in the north-east and the west of London. In the former district, the Rev. Messrs. Dukes, Philip, Aveling, and Green have cordially responded to the application to form an association in Dalston and Kingsland. A preliminary meeting was held on the 23rd ult., when the necessary arrangements were made for a public meeting being shortly held, for the formation of an Auxiliary in this locality. In the west of London, the Rev. Dr. Archer, Rev. R. Redpath, and other gentlemen, have as cordially enlisted their efforts to promote the interests of the Society among their respective congregations in this district. Other associations, we have reason to hope, will shortly be formed in various metropolitan and suburban neighbourhoods.

PROVINCIAL AUXILIARIES. Among the efforts made by the friends of seamen, in provincial ports, it is with pleasure we report those at Lowestoft. A Branch Association has recently been formed in this important and rapidly rising town. S. M. Peto, Esq., M.P., has afforded his aid, and ministers and members of various denominations have united their exertions. Half the salary of the missionary is guaranteed by the Local Committee: the remaining moiety will be supplied by the Society. A devoted missionary bas been engaged, who has entered upon his sphere of labour.

Witham, Luton, and Maldon have been visited by the Rev. Edward Muscutt, by whom the Society's claims were advocated; and in each place an increase of funds was the result.

LODGING-HOUSES. We defer till the next number any detail of our plans respecting this momentous department of the Society's operations, and therefore confine our present remarks to the simple announcement of the fact, that arrangements are in progress, which we hope will shortly issue in the establishment of a model lodging-house, in one of the most eligible parts of London. The accomplishment of this object will involve a considerable immediate outlay, but the Directors have already been greatly encouraged by promises of assistance, which we shall shortly make known.

PRAYER ON BEHALF OF SAILORS. The value and efficacy of prayer, in connexion with Christian effort, are readily acknowledged by all who feel their dependence upon Divine assistance; and we earnestly solicit our friends, as one of the best proofs they can afford of interest in the sailor's cause, not to forget to implore the Divine blessing upon the labours of the missionaries and agents of this Society. They would, also, greatly strengthen our hands if, in addition to personal supplication, they would seek to enlist the sympathies of their respective ministers. 'If our pulpits echoed to the voice of supplication on behalf of seamen, the churches would soon become interested for their welfare. Prayer would induce effort, and effort would be crowned with success.

« ÖncekiDevam »